Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finding time.

When do you find the time to practice? This is one of my biggest problems. Is it in the morning, evening? Do you set aside some time each day, a specific time? Do you just wing it? What do the professionals do? Jim Barber, Jeff Dunham, Mark Wade, Ken Groves and the list goes on and on. I would love some comments on this blog, if for nothing else than to help us all know what is the best way to practice? Is it while performing throwing in some new stuff? Do you have a room set aside for practice? (My house is small so my only practice room is cramped). Do you practice in front of a mirror or do you use a video? Let us know. How do you, when do you and where do you PRACTICE?

2 comments:

Lee & Doug Nearpass said...

I have a line I like to use: "Practice makes Permanent". We can practice and practice, but if we don't stop, go back, correct and work on it, we won't improve. If we learn it wrong, we'll always perform it wrong.

It's tough to get the time to develop and rehearse material, but if we don't, we "die on the vine".

I'm not a full time vent, so time is precious. I use my lunch hours to walk around the park and practice to myself. I try to find a park as far away from civilization as possible, and use the hour to my best advantage.

Carol Greene said...

First, I write a dialogue on my computer. It is necessary to learn the dialogue even before the manipulation with the figure begins, so I have a copy of the dialogue at my bedside. Before I go to sleep and/or when I awaken, I practice the dialogue. It is a very relaxing way to practice, and I can easily make changes in the process. Also I will practice the dialogue in the car while I'm driving. It takes at least thirty minutes to get to most destinations, so this is a good place to find out if I've memorized it yet. Later I pick up the figure at home and start the manipulation process. I practice in the living room, then later I stand in front of a bedroom closet mirror and refine the manipulation.